Monday, December 2, 2013

Stage Seven: Original editorial or commentary #2 | My Commentary: "Education Chairmen Join Algebra II Fray at SBOE"

Stage Seven: Original editorial or commentary #2
In Morgan Smith’s “Education Chairmen Join Algebra II Fray at SBOE” article, I learned about opposing views on the subject matter of whether algebra II should be included as a required course for high school students to graduate. I found it rather amusing to hear both sides’ claims.
The Senate Education Chairman, Dan Patrick, had this to say, “The idea that we think as a board or a Legislature that every one of those 5 million students must have algebra II to live the American dream is fool's gold.” While Celina Moreno, staff attorney for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund argued, “The inclusion of algebra II is critical to ensure students' opportunities aren't limited going forward.” I can see where both sides are coming from. To add on to Patrick’s opinion, House Public Education Chairman Jimmie Don Aycock mentioned, “There are many children that we are crowding to the side of the system because they do not see relevance in their courses.”
My two cents are as follows. I understand what Patrick is saying, and I believe it holds some truth to what he is saying. While algebra II is a big hindrance in students graduating from high school, not to mention, most of them will never again use it after they take the class, I concur with Moreno’s sentiment. I am a high school graduate, who HAD to take algebra II, although I failed it because of lack of comprehension, I still saw the benefits of taking the course. Ultimately, I was on par with my fellow classmates in the end who proceeded to take pre-calculus. After taking pre-calculus, I stopped and no longer continued on to calculus. That’s where Aycock proves a great point. Many children, including myself when I was in their shoes a couple years ago, do not see the relevance in taking many courses because in the end it does not hold any part to their success later on in life.
This is my personal sentiment. I believe those who want to pursue higher education even if it is community college, should be required to take algebra II. Taking algebra II at the minimal was my saving grace because for one the concepts stuck. Proof of this was I passed the TAKS with a commended performance which ultimately allows me to be able to take “college mathematics” as a substitute for college algebra and have my math credits accounted for and done. I enjoy math, but I won’t be doing it for the rest of my life. Math fascinates me but indeed it is definitely not my forte - I don’t absolutely need it for my intended career. I also was spared of taking math placement tests and classes that I already took prior in high school. Algebra II is important for those who want to be successful in college; Texas government needs to at least keep the education at this standard. It is not too high – I think Algebra II should be just the minimal all students should take if they hope to achieve have a decent high school diploma.


No comments: